Here is a very late Friday Five. I wasn’t going to do one this week until I saw the topic. Since I like talking about my heritage I decided to do it.
1. What is your lineage? Where are your ancestors from?
My father side is Belgian (which explains my last name) and my mothers side is a mishmash of probably English, Irish, Scottish and who knows what else. Mostly they are just Canadian.
2. Of those countries, which would you most like to visit?
I’ve been to Belgium but I only went to Brussels. I’d really like to take my time and travel around Belgium. Maybe do some family tree work. I don’t know much about my family tree beyond my great-grandparents and even that I don’t know all that well.
3. Which would you least like to visit? Why?
I want to visit all of Europe so I would have to say none of the above.
4. Do you do anything during the year to celebrate or recognize your heritage?
Not really. Europeans and North Americans tend to celebrate a lot of the same holidays. We do have shish-ka-bobs at Christmas time with my dad’s side of the family. I don’t know why we do that. I don’t think it’s a Belgian thing. Who knows.
5. Who were the first ancestors to move to your present country (parents, grandparents, etc)?
On my dad’s side it was my dad. He came over in 1951 with my grandparents when he was 1. That means I am truly one half Belgian. As for my mom’s side. I don’t know. I think they’ve been in Canada for a long long time. I don’t know anything about my ancestry on that side.